Helmet Design - Part 2

The 3D model is now finish (see image below), the next step is the making of a 1:1 scale foam prototype. The cardboard model was already quite usefull and I think it's one of the first step that shouldn't be missed - especially for an helmet. As I said before, it is indeed quite hard to figure out the perfect measurements according to the size of the user's head, the space dedicated to the electronic/cables and finally the head support and foam filling to make it wearable.






I went to the plastic and wood workshop today, considering 3 differents options for the making process and the choice of materials (order is not relevant):
- According to the 1:1 foam model, take the measurements of each small geometrical shape composing the helmet, then laser-cut each piece out of polycarbonate. Finally, assembly every pieces on the foam prototype using a plastic welder.
- Same scenario but using MDF (thin wood agglomerate).
- Third scenario, create a wood prototype, size 1:1, which will be the mold for plastic vacuum forming.

Well, the conclusion is categoric, I'll go for the third one. It is indeed the proper way to do it but it also require a lot of work to create this 1:1 wood prototype.. the helmet is quite massive.
But, most of all, I can vacuum as many plastic model as I want from the wood mold.
It means that if I break a model I can easily replace it (which is quite important according to the deadline.. I'll never have enough time to make another helmet out of nothing). Finally, it allows me to create a large number of helmet easily which will help me to developp the -beloved- multiplayer scenario. I think I will, technicaly speaking, finish one helmet and present the others as prototypes for a multiplayer experience. Everything makes more sense now ;)



foam 1:1 prototype - raw shape before modeling

No Response to "Helmet Design - Part 2"

Post a Comment